SHARING WITH OUR MELROSE MUMMeet Melrose Mum Arina Huysamer, food editor and author of several cookery books, including ‘Entertain’ and the best selling series on kids’ parties ‘Party Magic’.
Arina shares more:
I was raised on a farm in the Boland, and then moved to Cape Town as a student and eventually settled there. My food career started when I joined the food editorial team at a magazine. I juggle quite a few balls in the air: as food editor of a weekly magazine and as freelance food writer.
Central to my life is my husband Riaan and our little boy Daniël. We live in Durbanville with our two dogs Sally and Frances.
I have fond memories of Melrose, which reminds me of ‘break times’ - tucking into the lunch box and always keeping the best for last... my Melrose wedge. Now that I’m a mum myself I always have Melrose in the fridge.
What I do when I have a bit of me-time:
- Read, read, read. I am addicted to books, magazines, cookbooks, articles on the internet - you name it.
- Call my friends or play catch-up with them on e-mail.
- Re-arrange the furniture in my house; greatly frustrating my hubby with the constant moving.
- Shop-hopping at interesting little shops in tucked away alleys, mostly for props to be used in photo shoots or for my gift-drawer.
- Baking, the best therapy around.