MEALS, SNACKS & NIBBLES
A kitchen is full of tools and appliances which can be dangerous if not used properly. These pointers will help the kids be safe. Perhaps even print out and stick in the kitchen.
- Never use the kitchen without permission and never cook alone. Always ask an adult for help when you have to work with the oven, stove top or kitchen appliances, like blenders or food processors.
- Use an apron, this will reduce mess on your clothes and stop buttons and ties on your clothes from getting hooked.
- It’s easy to get injured in the kitchen if you are not careful. Always use non-slip pot stands and comfortable oven gloves when working with hot pots and pans. Never use a damp cloth to handle a hot pot or cake tin – only well-fitting, thick, dry oven gloves.
- Point all handles away from the front of the stove, this will ensure that you don’t bump the pots off when moving around the kitchen near the stove.
- Be very careful when you have to work with sharp utensils, like knives and scissors or with hot water and hot oil. Always ask an adult to help you with this.
- Be careful of steam! If you’ve cooked or microwaved something and it is still hot, always lift a lid or peel plastic away from your face and hands.
- Immediately wipe up anything that spills on the floor and make sure the floor is dry. You can slip on a spill and hurt yourself. Also remember to always wear shoes.
- It’s a good idea to do the washing up afterwards, but make sure you wash sharp things carefully. It is better to wash your knives separately, so you don’t cut yourself when sticking your hand into a full washbasin.
- Remember to switch off the oven and stove plates when you’re finished cooking.